Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A New Year, A New Life

The subtitle of my blog mentions that there are 525,600 minutes in a year, and so today I was reflecting on the past 525,600 minutes of my life. Roughly a year ago, I got a text from my roommate saying he was moving. It was kinda sudden, and surprised me. We had planned on rooming together til the spring and that plan was the only real reason I had stayed in Provo at all. So during the Christmas holiday I suddenly found myself forced to reevaluate my living situation. What followed has changed my entire life. Strange sometimes to look back at our lives and realize what the catalysts were that led to such monumental growth and change.
I decided almost immediately that if he wasn't sticking around there really was no reason for me to either. I wasn't happy where I was, and hadn't been for a while, but it was easier to stick around with the friends I had than to try to start my life out new.
All that changed very quickly. So the day after Christmas I started looking for an apartment in Salt Lake, deciding that Provo was no longer the place for me. I looked around at several complexes trying to find an available lease that I could afford, but to no avail. After a few days of fruitless searching, I realized that another change needed to happen. I needed to take the leap of faith and just get out of my contract. Find someone to take it over and trust that the Lord would provide a place for me. I made arrangements to stay with my Grandma for the interim until I found a new place, and then kept looking. I made inquiries into single rooms available and the day that I moved into my Grandma's guest room I found the place I had been looking for.
It's really interesting to me to be able to trace all the change in my life back to that one single moment when a text message opened up a path for me that I hadn't even considered. I don't regret a single moment of the past year. The mistakes I have made have taught me important lessons, and the good has far outweighed the bad. Here's to 2008 and to a year well lived. May 2009 be just as wonderful.

No comments: