Tuesday, July 22, 2008

One year older and wiser too...

So a friend of mine, out of the graciousness of her heart, offered to host a cake and ice cream get together in celebration of my birthday yesterday. Nothing fancy mind you, but a few friends from church and around the apartment complex to come by and eat cake, play Foosball, etc. So I get there and we're having a good time; there is a great turnout, because she emailed the church listserv, and a bunch of people showed.

I'm mingling and enjoying myself, when I suddenly stop and look around the room. I only knew the names of about half the people there. It made me feel kinda stupid for not knowing the names of people that had come to a party for me, so I tried to unobtrusively learn some people's names without letting on to anyone that I was so clueless.

So I learned some names, and was having a great time, when I was approached by a kid named Ryan (who I had just met that evening) and was informed that he needed to pass on several people's birthday wishes to me. When I inquired further it turned out that most of the people I didn't know, didn't know me either. They had in fact asked whose birthday it was and been told, "Derrik - that guy in the red t-shirt." Turns out that Ryan was also wearing a red t-shirt and had been told happy birthday several times.

Gotta love our society don't you? Someone says, "birthday cake" and we all come running. Even if we don't know the person whose birthday it actually is. Ah well. At least I got a party out of it. :o)

No comments: